I have spent the past couple of days developing recipes for this blog. Luckily, I have also had access to taste testers. My taste testers, aka my friends and family, have been giving me feedback. This corn and zucchini fritters is one of the recipes that scored high marks. Since it got a high mark, I thought I would share quickly so that you can make some fritters from your late summer zucchini crops.
Corn and Zucchini Fritter
To be honest, I was afraid no one would want to eat corn and zucchini fritters. Although it might seem very American, it is foreign to the immigrant palate. My friends kept on asking me what was in the fritters. Luckily, it is such a simple recipe I could answer easily. Corn. Zucchini. Spring onions sliced. All vegetables suspended in a batter.
And everyone loved it after taking a bite and then eating a whole piece. I thought I made enough to have leftovers. So not true! It was all gone when I went to look. Part of the beauty of these fritters lies in the way the corn adds sweetness to the fritter while the zucchini adds moisture. There is the right amount of flavor and moisture in each piece of the corn and zucchini fritter.
The one thing I want to note is how easy this Corn and Zucchini fritter recipe is to cook.
The fritter comes out best when it is cooked at low heat. This allows each fritter to cook all the way through rendering each bit of vegetable at the right level of doneness. The other thing I want to note is that you don’t have to use spring onions all the time. When I originally developed this recipe, I used chives in the batter. Then I switched to spring onions because that is regularly available.
Anyway, I hope you give the corn and zucchini fritter a try. I filmed a video to show how easy the corn and zucchini fritter batter comes together. Keep your eye on my Instagram for that gem.
Corn and Zucchini Fritters
- 3 cups Fresh Corn Kernel
- 2 Cups Shredded Fresh Zucchini
- 1/4 Cup Spring Onion slices (white bit)
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Egg Whole
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the vegetable oil. Mix all ingredients together until well blended. The batter should be slightly clumpy and thick.
- Heat up a pan to cook the fritters on low to medium heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with about 1 teaspoon of oil. When the oil is warm, add in some of the corn and zucchini fritter batter. I usually do a 1/3 to a 1/4 cup per fritter and spread out lightly. Don't crowd the pan.
- Cook on low to medium heat until the surface of each fritter is dotted with air bubbles. This usually takes 3-4 minutes. Then carefully flip the corn and zucchini fritter over to cook. The fritter should be done in another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate to serve.