Do you know what I have been obsessed with lately? The delicious juices that flow out of the chicken as it roasts. That juice with all its herbiness and saltiness is what forms the base of this curried potato and kale.
Curried Potato and Kale
Consider this to be almost like a fall preview of what kinds of food I want to be eating. The kind of food that sticks to the stomach and warms me up from inside. The kind of food where I feel like I am not wasting any flavors. This curried potato and kale deliver. It is the first recipe in a series I am calling the ‘so you roasted chicken…’
One of the best things I discovered this summer was the butter potato. It cooks up to be super smooth and velvety in the mouth. In the curried potato and kale dish, the smoothness of the potato is a good contrast the crunch of my preferred Lacinato kale. Plus, that potato does a hell of a job soaking up all the flavors I have layered in that pan. From the curry powder to the coconut, the potato picks it all up.
The other favorite thing I love about this is that everything comes together in one pan. If you know anything about me, you will know that I am obsessed with pans that can go from the stovetop to the oven. It makes making dishes like the curried potato and kale so easy. Especially if I am trying to use up every bit of the chicken dripping.
If you are not roasting a chicken, this recipe is still super easy.
The actual recipe for curried potato and kale assumes that you are not starting with chicken drippings. Also, the recipe as I wrote is suitable for a vegan meal. I just start off with coconut oil and coconut cream instead of chicken dripping.
When using the recipe with chicken drippings, omit the coconut oil and cream. The curry powder is added directly to the drippings in the pan and then recipe goes from there.
Curried Potato and Kale
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Coconut Cream
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb Butter Potato cubed
- 1/3 lb Lacinato/Dinosaur Kale thinly shredded
- 1/2 cup Broth Meat or Vegetable
- In a saucepan, heat up the coconut oil on low heat and add in the curry powder. Once curry powder begins to bloom, add in the potato cubes. stir-fry for a couple of minutes
- Add in the salt, coconut milk and cream with the broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Let potato cook until tender to the fork. This takes about 10 minutes because potato has been cut into bite-size.
- Reduce the pot to a slow simmer, then add in the kale and leave the sauce pan open. Let the cooking liquid reduce and slowly turn kale in the pan.
- Once the curried potato and kale is coated with a thick sauce, in about 5 minutes, it is ready to serve
[…] few years ago, I went primarily plant-based for a few weeks. At that time, I was constantly looking for new food options. Mujadara is a […]