Believe it or not, this strawberry and rhubarb cordial almost never happened. The stories about rhubarb seem to come from nowhere. Like it does every year, one moment it is the end of winter and the moment, rhubarb was everywhere. As always, I seem to never grab it when I saw it until I didn’t see any rhubarb anymore. Then one day, just like that, I saw some rhubarb at the grocery store and remembered to but it.
I wasn’t sure what I was going to make with it. I just knew I had to have it. So after much thought, I settled on making a cordial. To me a cordial, like a jam, is a good way of prolonging the joy of an extremely seasonal produce. Strawberry and rhubarb seemed like a classic combination for my experiment.
Now, I have a whole jar of the good Strawberry and Rhubarb cordial sitting in fridge. It has been a lifesaver with the heat we have had lately in the Boston area. I have been drinking so much water. Adding a touch of the cordial into my water makes me feel happier.
Strawberry and Rhubarb Cordial
- 1/4 lbs Rhubarb
- 1/2 lbs Strawberry
- 1 cup sugar
- Clean the rhubarb. Slice thinly and move into a bowl. Cover with sugar and mix together.
- Clean strawberries. Slice strawberries into chunks. Mix chunks in with the marinating rhubarb.
- Let the mixture sit at room temperature for at least 30minutes, up to an hour. The fruits should have released some juice.
- Pour marinated fruits into a pot, making sure to scrape in any sugar that may have settled in the bowl. Add in a cup of water to the pot. Bring to a simmer on low heat. Once bubbling forms, let it simmer for about five minutes.
- Take it off the heat. Let the mixture cool down. Strain out the juice. Store juice in a tight jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Quick tip: Don’t throw out the pulp from the cordial. It can be used to make breakfast bars or mixed in cake, muffin or pancake batter.
[…] I have no memory of working with it. What a welcome into the rhubarb society it was. I made some cordial with rhubarb and a couple of jams. Cherry and rhubarb jam was the first one I […]