I recently restocked my syrups shelf in the fridge so I have found myself enjoying a variety of drinks. Blackberry Jalapeno Smash is one of the mocktails I have found myself making during the COVID isolation. There is not much I can do to defuse my anxiety. One trick that seems to work for me is to focus on cooking.
Eating well and drinking well has become an important part of my daily routine. On most days, it is a welcome distraction for me to focus on building memorable flavors on my plate or in my cup. Since I don’t imbibe alcohol, I have to be creative when it comes to crafting drinks. I am not a fan of mocktails that don’t have a depth of flavor. A drink, alcoholic or not, should not be a mere vessel for sugar into the bloodstream.
One thing I love about this drink is the range it has. The jalapeno syrup in this drink is layered with the pungent herbiness of the celery seeds and heat from the jalapeno. This adds a good balance to the fruitiness of the blackberry. The basil rounds out the delight without being overpowering.
If you are someone that likes your drinks smooth, it is possible to strain this before serving it. However, I find that layering the ice of the blackberry on the bottom provides a lovely filtration system. Of course, I just love how pretty the color transition looks in the glass.
Candied Jalapeno in Syrup
- 1 Large Jalapeno Sliced
- 1/2 tsp Celery Seed
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Boil the apple cider vinegar, celery seed and sugar on low heat until the sugar dissolves
- Add the jalapeno slices into the syrup and cook for 5 minutes.
- Retrieve the jalapeno slices and put them into a clean jar.
- Reduce the syrup by a third. Pour hot syrup over the jalapeno slices carefully. Cover and let it cool down.
Blackberry Jalapeno Smash
- 4 Fresh or Frozen Blackberries
- 1 tsp Jalapeno Syrup
- 1 tbsp Simple Syrup
- 1 Basil Leaf
- 4 oz Sparkling Water Chilled
- Add the blackberries into a cup. Tear in the basil leaf. Smash the blackberries into a mash.
- Add in the jalapeno syrup and simple syrup. Stir.
- Top of the blackberry mixture with ice. Pour in sparkling water.