Food is my language. There is no doubt about that in my mind. Those that know me
From many years of cooking from others, I have learned that the best thing I can do is be present for my loved ones. Sometimes, while trying to impress people with a dish, I am not present. I find myself caught in a flurry of activities trying to quickly finish the umpteenth step instead of listening. Sometimes, the worry about the cake or cookie in the oven distracts me from the conversation. When it is all said and done and the food is gone, my loved ones don’t feel like they have been loved.
That is why on special occasions, I try and bring the focus back to the relationship instead of the spectacles. This spaghetti in garlic oil dish helps me do just that. This takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish, especially if you use a super thin spaghetti as I did. If you have watched the movie, ‘Chef’, you can probably recognize this dish. I searched online and found that proper name for this garlicky spaghetti is Pasta Aglio e Olio.
The beauty of making this spaghetti in garlic oil is in its simplicity. The difficulty of making this pasta dish is in its simplicity. There are maybe six ingredients in this dish including salt. It is essential that each element is exactly as you want it.
Spaghetti in Garlic Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic sliced
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup Parmiggiano Grated
- Chilli Flakes
- Put on a pot of water on the stove to boil. Add a generous amount of salt.
- In a pan, toast the panko breadcrumbs for a couple of minutes. Keep your eye on it because it gets dark quickly. Once it is toasted, empty from pan. Allow it to cool down and mix with Parmesan cheese in a bowl
- Add spaghetti to the boiling water. Cook according to the package. Three minutes before spaghetti is cooked, heat oil in a pan for a minute. Add in the sliced garlic and chili flakes. Slowly stir garlic in oil for a couple of minutes.
- At this point, spaghetti should be cooked. Drain out pasta water, reserving about half a cup.
- Add cooked spaghetti to the pan with garlic, chili flakes, and oil. Mix it all together. Use a splash of hot pasta water if you need it to loosen the spaghetti. Once it is done, transfer to a plate.
- Dust the spaghetti with the bread crumb mix. Serve.